Pages

Sweet-Pea Baby Cakes

http://sweetpeababycakes.shutterfly.com// The place for Diaper Cakes-the perfect baby shower gift for any mommy-to-be...

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Our First Outing as Three


You may laugh- especially if you are a mother of more than one.

I have made it 10 months not going out, with both kids, alone. Yes, ten whole wonderful glorious months! I did meet up with a girlfriend (at her house) for play-dates but that was the extent of our outings as three; until recently.

I got sick of waiting for the hubby to get home at night, and quite often it was late, before going anywhere. So one morning I decided to take both kids to the library. I thought Addison would enjoy selecting books and bringing them home. I packed the diaper bag and we were off…

I have not had a library card in nearly 15 years so I needed to reapply. I finished the paper work and thought boy that was easy, now to turn it in…

Me: “Here is my paper work for a card.”

Women behind the desk: “I need your driver’s license.”
I handed it over. Now Jackson is starting to get cranky so I throw a bottle & sippy cup his way hoping one will work.

Women behind the desk: “I need your maiden name, former address & phone number.”
I give her the information; the whole time thinking I must have an outstanding fine of like $500.00. Jackson is crying and trying to gag himself, Addison pulling on my skirt saying “Mommy, mommy-Dorothy dinosaur book; Mommy mommy- go get it”… come on lady can’t you type my info any faster?!

Women behind the desk: “You have an outstanding fine from 1998.”

Me: “You have got to be kidding! How much?”

Women behind desk: “$28.95. I will give you your new card and the old will be cancelled when you pay your fine.” She hands back my license and asks me to sign my new library card. As I am signing she says “no, no, no dear you signed it upside down!”

Me: “does it really matter; it is just a library card!?” You see, by this point I am holding Jackson who took my license (he is finally quiet), trying to keep Addison from a meltdown over books and signing a library card.

Still holding Jackson, holding Addison’s hand and pushing an empty stroller we finally make it to the children’s books. Jackson is quiet, so I put him back in the stroller, while Addison carefully makes her three selections. She heads to the couches and asks me to read to her. I find this amazing because she has never been in a library so how does she know to do this? I happily oblige. We are halfway through her book when a 15 month old little girl approaches Jackson and begins playing with him. The little girls’ grandmother comes over and begins talking to me. I try not to be short with the women but am irritated that my moment with Addison has just been stolen.

Jackson who was being quiet is now beginning to fuss. I apologize to the women, tell Addison we can bring our new books home and read them in Tinkerbell bed, grab everything and check out.

I get everyone situated in their carseats; unpack the stroller and go to put my license and new library card into my wallet only to realize I can’t find my license. I dump my diaper bag upside down, everything falling out onto the passenger seat and I rummage through it- nothing. I get out of the car, unfold the stroller, check the seat and cup holders- nothing! I look back at the kids and Jackson is sleeping and Addison thumbing through her new books. FUCK! I was tempted to leave with out it but was too worried. So I put Jackson, who is soundly sleeping, back in the stroller, get Addison and we head back in. I did a quick walk through- nothing! Damn I have to go back to the desk lady… I ask if anyone has turned in a driver’s license and she explains that she gave it back to me. I guess you can see where this is going. Finally, five minutes later, I get her realize that I lost my license because the wonderful mom I am allowed my 10 month old to hold it so he would shut-up! No one turned in a license- so after another three passes I find it lying on the floor in an area we didn’t visit.

We arrive home and I say to myself “what the hell was I thinking?!”

Funny- we have being doing this once a week for the past three weeks and I must say it gets a little easier each time.



We now have outings as three…

7 comments:

[ker-AND-uh] said...

oh lord! my outings are like that and i only have a 5.5mos old! i can't imagine how hard it's going to be as he gets older and we have more!

nvrnvr said...

LOL! Oh the joys of parenthood! Trust me...I might seem to get easier now but it doesn't. I've got a 12 yr old, 11 yr old and an 8month old (big gap I know) and its the older ones that give me the most grief and causing situations as your case at the library. Enjoy them now while you can before they turn into pre-teen know it all's :)

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said...

Love the the driving pic, too cute! New follower from Bloggy Moms! Hope you can stop by and return the follow :)

http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I have a 1 year old and my outings alone with him are like this. I always end up so frazzled... We don't go out alone much now because of the heat.

I am glad it's getting easier for you. It gives us moms with 1 child a little hope that when we add to our family it won't be so hard. :)

The Treasure Store said...

Love it!
Came over from Bloggy Moms :)

Lisa Madden Bass said...

Love your blog...I am following your from Bloggy Moms. The diaper cakes are precious!
I look forward to more of your great blogs.

Lisa

Tabitha Blue said...

Whew! Just reading that made me tired!! Haha. I can relate... I'm a mom of two, and have been trekking them around since day 3, some days are easy and some... well some sound just like that day! I prefer the easy ones, and they seem to outnumber the bad, so we continue to hop around town :)

~Tabitha