Pages

Sweet-Pea Baby Cakes

http://sweetpeababycakes.shutterfly.com// The place for Diaper Cakes-the perfect baby shower gift for any mommy-to-be...

Friday, December 3, 2010

The Stay at Home Mom Syndrome & Day 47. 318 Days Left.

Though rewarding, being a stay-at-home mom isn’t easy. In fact, I was surprised to find it’s the hardest job I have ever had. Most days are spent without a single adult conversation, quieting my child’s screams at home or in the store, wiping poopy butts, making bottles, making five different things for breakfast and lunch, disciplining, splitting up battles, getting toddlers to nap (at the same time), doing laundry, hauling a double stroller while entertaining two toddlers and walking three dogs, cleaning house and planning nightly meals often leave me wondering, “Is this really worth it?” The “I’m just a mom” syndrome attacks routinely, suggesting the world is moving on without me while I watch Yo Gabba, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the Wiggles with my 3 & 1-year-olds for the one millionth time.

Like anyone, I have good days and bad days. Admittedly, even a bad day at home is better than the worse day at an outside job. But I often find myself answering most how do you do it questions with “Well, I am just a mom.”

On a really good day, Addison and Jackson are cooperative, playful, hungry at food time and actually eat what I make, sleepy at nap time, the housework gets done, I find a bit of time to write a blog post and most importantly, to enjoy one-on-one time with the kiddies.

Most typical days for this stay-at-home mom go like this:

Wake up when Jackson wakes up (between 5:30-6:30am), change him, get him a bottle. Rub open my eyes and luckily if he is not screaming I can find time to pee. Addison is usually just waking up (7am-ish). Make Addison juice and get her on the potty. Make them breakfast. Jackson throws it overboard. Make him something new to eat. Pour a cup of coffee and pray I can get at least 2-3 cups in me. Clean up Jackson. Clean up his highchair. Clean up the floor. Clean up after breakfast while the kiddies are watching The Cat in the Hat. Start the laundry. Play with Addison and Jackson. Get them down for a nap. Clean up any bottles. Check email. Start writing a post. Until they wake for lunch. Prepare food, let them eat, clean up Jackson, clean up his highchair, clean up the floor. Change them into daytime clothes. Take the dogs for a walk. Stop a pint sized meltdown. Call the hubby and hound him about when he is coming home. Dinner...bath time...bed time. I sit down on the sofa.

Now during this constant activity I am often rewarded with dancing, talking, laughing, playing, hugs and kisses. Addison even helps take the laundry out of the dryer (while leaving a trail behind her) and once folded Jackson likes to throw the clothes on the floor. They both really enjoy helping.

My life, as a stay at home mom, is not glamorous or relaxing but I do get paid with "I luv yous", hugs and kisses that just melt my heart.

I think friends are shocked by how easily I slipped into this life. Hell, I'm more shocked than they are (especially by my hygiene issues).

And p.s. hubby it is so not hot to ask how many days it has been since I have showered… that will not get me moving. Because by this point, I have had all I can stand of other humans hanging off me. So sorry. No shower tonight. Rain check please…
____________________________________________________________________

Day 47

We play Jack-in-the-Box

4 comments:

sara said...

You said it!!! "just a mom," is so much more than we get credit for!!
www.8aplenty.blogspot.com

Skye said...

I will honestly admit ... before I had Julianna, I figured being a stay at home mom was cake. I could never figure out why the stay at home moms I knew never had time to clean their house or do anything. It just did not make sense to me. I was able to stay home for 14 weeks with Julianna after she was born, and got a good taste as being a stay at home mom. Well now I know why it's hard to get things done. I know real well!! I have been back to work since Septemeber and do not regret going back to work ... but hats off to stay at home moms! No one understands until they wear those shoes! :)

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I never thought I would be a stay at home mom. A mom yes- but not one that lives in a small town, married to a logger and is "just a mom" I've done a lot too and this is the hardest job ever.
Cheers to you

www.myabcsoup.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I never would have thought how much WORK went into being a SAHM - until I became one! Now I know there is no such thing as "oh, you JUST stay home". I remember the days when I "JUST had to go to work"! Thanks for posting!

Stopping by from the Bloggy Moms directory.
-Tanya
www.blogelina.com